* Wow, here’s a blast from the past. I have several bits of old video footage from my days at the old Connection. The problem was that I could never videotape myself, I always had to depend on someone else to run the camera and whoever I could corral into doing it would invariably shake like Katherine Hepburn in an earthquake if they ever even had me in frame at all. This footage of me doing “True Colors” is particularly, staggeringly shaky, which made it pretty much unwatchable. But I’ve been fooling around with it, and after keyframing the HELL out of it and using a few cheats to minimize the impact of the shaky camerawork, here’s a version of the number. I’ll probably fool around with it more as time goes by… archiving things is a hobby of mine, in case you haven’t noticed.
* Aside from the technical aspects of the footage, it does document a fun time in my life. I was well into the comfortable period of my career as a showgirl here… I had won my pageants, been on cast for a few years and had a loyal and generous groups of friends in my fan base. I made my own clothes for the most part, wore my natural hair color (brown) and felt very comfortable on stage. Ahh, such fun! But those days couldn’t go on forever… actually, they could have, and I know showgirls who are still working after 20 or more years of it, but I just wanted more for my life. This was also the club where I met Barry, and after everything happened as it did, I just had to get out.
* I’m very glad that I was able to grow into myself among the kind and generous people of the Nashville club scene. I remember every person you see me bend down to kiss in this video, if not by name then at least by shared moments in the lights and music during and after the show. And I’m very glad that I was able to move onward to the next phase of my life, here in Hollywood. What a journey this is!
- Musical Evolution: Cabaret Style
- Jer Ber Jones has a NEW ALBUM of covers!!!
- What it’s like to end the night as a showgirl
- Get Into It: The Dreamy Music of Emmy Curl
- New Micro-Short film: The Last Pageant – Calpernia, EOY and a Goodbye
- New Calpernia Music Video: “Next!” from the Movie “Transproofed”
- NEW MUSIC VIDEO: MISS DIS!!!
- Loving this music: M83
- Preaching OUTSIDE the Choir
- Trevor Project/APLA Oscar Parties